Sunday, July 25, 2010

Beware of Fast Food Veggie Burgers

While I applaud the efforts of the fast food industry in attempting to provide vegetarian and more healthful alternatives to the crap they already sell on a daily basis, I have to point out shortcomings and defects in their attempts to provide vegetarian and healthy alternatives that sabotage or defeat the whole purpose of attempting to provide healthier and meat-less (vegetarian) products.

Is health or the wellbeing of the American people the main objective in selling vegetarian products or is it financial gain? Unfortunately for all the people who want to believe the fast food industry is coming around and becoming more health conscious, the fast food industry’s objective in selling vegetarian items such as the veggie burger is strictly commercial, at least right now or presently.

Why? Because until the vegetarian items are completely lacking animal byproducts, the promoting and selling of vegetarian items is to deceive fast food consumers into believing that they have a choice in eating meatless or healthier items and products, which just isn’t true

.
Take McDonald’s, Burger King, and the Habit for example. They all sell a veggie burger. But that veggie burger patty (if the patty itself is not entirely vegetable based) is cooked in ANIMAL LARD number one, and number two, cooked on the same grill that meat (DEAD ANIMAL FLESH) is cooked on.

All meat contains parasites and worms, and the ugliest ones that you could ever see with the human eyes. I know this personally as I have done the personal research (and have been presented research from Doctah B, Bro. Tarik, and others in the Los Angeles area) and have the nauseating photographs to show you. TOTALLY GROSS!

Some people thought they were avoiding animal byproducts by only eating French fries from the fast food restaurant, not knowing that most fast food restaurants such as McDonald’s were cooking their fries in vegetable oil mixed with beef juice. That’s right! McDonald’s add beef juice to its cooking oil for flavor, in addition to spraying the fires with a sugar solution, freezing them and shipping them off to McDonald’s franchises, and after cooking the sugar sprayed fries in beef juice (oil), sodium chloride (salt) is added and you have one of the most addictive products in America – McDonald’s French fries!

Take Subway for example, a place I used to eat at often in my early vegan days and while I was in the Corporate world. I had my places to eat at and menus to choose from. However, eating out was the exception to the rule and not the rule, as I normally prepared my own lunch. But Subway was right across the street from my place of employment and the food was much lighter than the stuff sold at the more general fast food establishments.

However, as I became more spiritual and health conscious, it started to bother me eating at establishments that served vegetarian products alongside with meat or flesh products. I used to order the Veggie Max sub sandwich from Subway. But the soy based Veggie Max patty was in a container or bin next to bacon (pig’s back end). This was not a far distance for the microscopic parasites and worms to crawl from the bacon bin to the veggie patty bin. Also, the veggie patty was cut in two with the same knife used to cut meat with. You see, it really doesn’t matter if you’re health conscious or vegan or vegetarian and the person preparing your food (or product) is not. To the fast food employee, they’re just preparing another product totally oblivious to strict food sanitary preparation ethics and principles.

Another thing to point out about the Subway Veggie Max sub or sandwich is that it was (1) cooked (actually, RADIATED) in a microwave oven, (2) cooked or radiated in the same microwave oven as meat or flesh products (pork worms can’t be killed in heat because of a heat-resistant shell that forms around the worm in very high temperatures, and the only substance that can penetrate or break open that shell is the hydrochloric acid of the human body).

One day while out on the town with my children here in Glendale, California, my daughter wanted some noodles or Chow Mein and I think some vegetable-fried rice or egg rolls from Panda Express, I really can’t remember exactly the items, but I do remember asking the Panda Express employee to prepare an exclusively vegetarian plate – NO MEAT OR MEAT-BYPRODUCTS WHATSOEVER, i.e. vegetable-fried rice, Chow Mein, steamed vegetables, and to my utter shock, the employee honestly told me that NOTHING at Panda Express was vegetarian. Absolutely nothing! I said, “Even the vegetable-fried rice, noodles, and steamed vegetables?” He said “That’s right, Sir!” With a discombobulated look on my face, the employee then told me that Panda Express pours chicken juice on all of its items. So now I’m thinking about the time when time compelled me to get something on the go and I got what I thought was completely vegetarian from Panda Express.

And of course, I’ve heard similar accounts from my good Vegan comrades as well. So if you want to know a thing, ask. And by all means, don’t presume.

If you think those vegetarian corn dogs at Hot Dog On-A-Stick are vegetarian, think again! They contain egg whites (in the bread batter).

I also used to eat the vegetarian burritos at Baha Fresh Mexican Grill. I started getting headaches. Why? White flour tortillas cooked on the same grill as the slaughtered flesh (meat). So what did I do to cure the problem? I Left those burritos alone and I have been fine ever since.

I remember my early vegan days of 1997 and 1998 and thinking I was not eating any animal parts or byproducts whatsoever only to discover that those black beans I was eating from El Pollo Loco contained chunks of chicken. One day while eating these black beans, I noticed a strange substance in them. When I picked the substance up and closely analyzed it, I was disgusted to be holding a piece of chicken in my hand. Boy did I feel nauseated at this revelation and discovery. I had to let those beans go no matter how good they tasted. I refuse to let taste disillusion me into a state of poor health and into an early grave.

Vegetarian does not mean vegan! Vegan means “completely animal free, including dairy products and eggs,” whereas vegetarian means “meat-free but not dairy/eggs-free.” A vegetarian burrito at a fast food restaurant may contain cheese and sour cream (congealed cow snot or mucus). Some veggie burger patties may also contain cheese. Cheese is from an animal so how can it be animal free? While many health conscious folks and would be vegans enjoy Boca Burgers, some brands contain egg whites and cheese, so start reading the ingredient list on the box.

So although McDonald’s now has a veggie burger, just know that its veggie burger is cooked in beef oil, in addition to the fact that the veggie burger is centered between two white, refined grain buns, conventionally grown iceberg lettuce (the worst lettuce to eat and the most nutritionally deficient plant to eat) and genetically engineered tomatoes (if you want lettuce and tomatoes on your veggie burger). The same thing can be said of Burger King and the Habit’s veggie burgers.

However, if you’re on the road or out and about in society and must make a choice to eat something that is not so insalubrious, it would be a good idea to experience around with a major fast food chain’s veggie burger rather than give in to the traditional crap that has been served over the years and that you always bought and ate. However, it is better (and wiser) to seek out vegan restaurants before you actually hit the town (if you’re a health conscious individual or vegan).

I know how difficult it is to be vegan (at first) and to not have vegan eateries so easily and readily accessible, especially if you live in a small town. I’m thankful that the Greater Los Angeles area and Southern California in general is loaded with vegan spots around town to get something wholesome and nutritious to eat. The same is true for other big cities around the nation such as New York City, Atlanta, San Diego, San Francisco-Oakland Bay area, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment